Monday 15 October 2012

Little Spooks


Hi There,




I'm quite excited this week, as I have finally designed and made my own knitted...things! 

I have left Christmas behind in the last couple of weeks, and have designed some Halloween decorations, as it is nearly time for Trick or Treating!


The first decoration I made was the grimacing pumpkin. It was an experiment really to see if I could knit a circle. (Which I quickly found I couldn't) so in order to make the roundness of a pumpkin I knitted a square (much easier) and then gathered the sides at the top to make the round shape. I then knitted another green square for the top and a triangle for the leaf. I have recently discovered i-cords, the way to knit back and front to make the long cord, i have become slightly obssessed with them and finding ways to use then again and again. I used an i-cord to make a stalk at the top of the pumpkin.
The second I made is the little ghost. I sat down and designed the shape just by increasing and decreasing the shape. I made 2 sides and stitched them together as easy as that. Then I used my favourite ICord techniques to make the arms, I just made fatter cords for the arms. The good thing about ICords is that they bend naturally so it did add to the ghost look.



The Witch is the thing I am most proud of, it was supposed to be a simple design like the other two, but I ended up adding and adding to it till it was a quite complicated design. the shape started like the ghost and was made by increasing and decreasing 2 sides of the dress. then I used techniques I have learnt from past projects to make the green hair, and the i-cords for the spindly legs. I also made a cape for the witch and a pointy black hat, and you can't see the bottom but she does have orange knickers too.

I wanted to make the witch a house decoration so it would be able to sit on the side with her legs over the edge. I'm planning a little range of these spindly legged characters like the witch, so watch this space.

My first designs are full of flaws, but I really enjoyed knitting without checking a pattern every 2 seconds. My favourite is the witch, but the pumpkin and the ghost are also cute. I'm calling this range 'Little Spooks'


Lots of Love
Bomo Knitting





6 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed looking at all your knits. You are building up quite a collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute, I espcially like the witch. You are very clever to design your own patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are really cute! I love the sense of fun in them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see some none Christmassy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your little ghost, he looks like he's dancing the night away.

    Jan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done brilliantly! Another way to do the pumpkins is to knit a rectangle alternating between 4 rows stocking stitch and 2 rows garter stitch then gathering bottom and top. It makes lovely ridges :-)

    ReplyDelete